Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Think Tank Tuesday 7/7: Was This Judge Right To Lock Up Kids For Not Talking To Their Father?

picture source: freep.com
When 3 children involved in a nasty divorce proceeding refused to have lunch with their father, a judge took it upon herself to teach the kids a lesson by throwing them in a juvenile detention center until they turned 18 or talked to their father -- oh yeah their ages are 9, 10, and 14:

[Oakland Circuit Judge Lisa Gorcyca declared the children of Maya Tsimhoni in contempt of court last month and ordered them held at Oakland County Children’s Village until they attempt to have a relationship with their father or they turn 18.

The three — ages 9, 10, and 14 — have been incarcerated for more than two weeks.

...The children were taken into custody during a June 24 hearing. “I do apologize if I didn’t understand the rules,” said one boy, who turned 14 in custody, “but I do not apologize for not talking to (the father) because I have a reason for that and that’s because he’s violent and I saw him hit my mom and I’m not going to talk to him.” 

The father has not been charged with a crime. 

Gorcyca called the boy a “defiant, contemptuous young man” and asked him if there was anything he’d like to say about being sent to Children’s Village. “I didn’t do anything wrong,” the boy said. “No, you did,” Gorcyca said. 

“I ordered you to talk to your father. You chose not to talk to your father. You defied a direct court order. It’s direct contempt so I’m finding you guilty of civil contempt.” The boy responded: “But he was the one that (did) something wrong. I thought there (were) rules .. for not hitting someone.” “You’re supposed to have a high IQ, which I’m doubting right now because of the way you act,” Gorcyca said.] source

What are your thoughts? Just how far should a judge's authority be allowed to go? Should they be allowed to do like Judge Gorcyca and put children behind bars because the children refuse to talk to their parent? Is this judge right in her decision or is she completely off her rocker? Read more about the case here!

You know the routine: View, Share and Discuss... Don't forget to leave a comment below.

Then...

Follow me on Twitter @bigjyesupreme

Zuma Square Button 2

No comments:

Post a Comment