Thursday, August 11, 2011

Black Youth: flash mobs and thuggery

Philadelphia - While out of town last week, I suddenly started receiving urgent long-distance messages about young black people in Milwaukee acting crazy.

Again.

Last time it happened, I was on vacation during the Fourth of July weekend when a bunch of misbehaving young black people ransacked a gas station convenience store and attacked residents in a park.

This time, I was in my hometown of Philadelphia attending the National Association of Black Journalists convention when my BlackBerry started blowing up with news about what happened Thursday night at the Wisconsin State Fair.

According to reports, it was similar to what happened in Riverwest last month, but on a much more brutal - and scarier - scale.

When people start reporting they were being beaten by black people for no other reason than being white people at the State Fair, that's pretty disturbing.

It's also thuggish and disgusting.

Now that we've got the rough words out of the way, it's time to get some real answers.

I wasn't there - most readers weren't either - so I have to depend on the version from bystanders who called police and the Journal Sentinel newsroom for firsthand accounts.

Nobody seems certain about the size of the groups - I've heard everything from about 30 to 40 all the way up to 300 - and no one seems sure what triggered the incident. I have heard the complaints about rap music at State Fair being a possible culprit, but after learning the featured performer was 1980s star MC Hammer, I'm skeptical.

Real thugs don't listen to MC Hammer.

continue the article here!

No comments:

Post a Comment